Otep originally was a four-piece nu metal band that began in Los Angeles, California in early 2000. They were invited to play Ozzfest before they had even signed to a label after Sharon Osbourne witnessed a brief part of their live performance. They have since played Ozzfest several times. To date the band has released five full length albums, and two EP’s.
In 2007, after the dismal performance of The Ascension, Otep was officially dropped from Capitol Records.
In 2009 Otep signed with Victory Records. Their 2009 album, Smash the Control Machine, was to include a reunion with former members Mark “Moke” Bistany on drums and Rob Patterson on guitar. The album also featured Koichi Fukuda on piano, and Emilie Autumn on violin. The band appeared with 2Cents, Five Finger Death Punch & Shadows Fall on the ‘Shock & Raw Tour’ of North America in the fall of 2009.
On September 30, 2010, Jay McGuire left the band.
In 2011, Otep toured as a supporting act, along with Earth Crisis, for Cavalera Conspiracy.
- 2001 – Jihad (EP)
- 2002 – Sevas Tra
- 2004 – House of Secrets
- 2007 – The Ascension
- 2009 – Smash The Control Machine
- 2011 – Atavist
- Jason “eViL j” McGuire – bass (2000–2010)
- Rob Patterson – guitars (2001–2004)
- Mark “Moke” Bistany – drums (2001–2004, 2009)
- Brian Wolff – drums (2006–2008)
- Lee Rios – touring guitars (2004)
- Scotty CH – touring guitars (2005)
- Aaron Nordstrom – touring guitars (2007–2008)
- Steven Barbola – touring guitars (2008–2010)
- Ari Mihalopoulos – touring guitars (2010–present)
- Scott Coogan – touring drums (2003)
- Doug Pellerin – touring drums (2004–2005)
- Dave Gentry – touring drums (2008–2010)
- Chase Brickenden – touring drums (2010)